A rich equestrian culture (if you are ready)

Hamish taking the contact forward in neck extension

 I am currently studying madly for my Ecole de Legerete Theory Examination, my exam will be in 2 weeks. 

For the exam I am given 45 minutes to prepare a 45 minute theory presentation from memory - no notes allowed. There are 11 topics ranging from "The Use of the Hand" to "Transitions and Collection". To say that its a challenge is a bit of an understatement!

With many things in the EdL it is a task that makes me wish I had immersed myself in the rich history of equestrian culture earlier in my life. So many talented and knowledgeable people have thought about riding and training and written texts about their experiences to help guide the aspiring equestrienne. 

I wonder if I would have been ready to receive the wisdom when I was younger (and less experienced)?

Quite a few years ago I was lucky to have a lesson with Manolo Mendez, I remember something he said then "long the neck and short the body", at the time I didn't really understand it. As Hamish makes his way towards being a well trained and strong horse I am finally beginning to really know what he meant - it has only taken 7 years!


Christine - Principal

Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre


Comments