Erica's Blog - If in doubt return to something you know

 


Relaxation (again!) 

Just a short one today, sharing a 🌞revelation🌞. 

Relaxation is a continual priority for all horses ridden at Blinkbonnie, and often when I try something new, inevitably some tension occurs. For a long time, I was taught that tension is sometimes unavoidable and to just work through it, and I think occasionally that’s true (for, perhaps, piaffe, which comes from positive tension) but in general low level work this shouldn’t be the case. 

Christine suggests coming back to something the horse knows well that is related to the exercise you are trying to do, and then expose them to it again, and go back and forth between the two. 

I thought this meant coming back to walk, and for a few weeks I struggled, thinking ‘how can the horse learn, for example, to trot in shoulder in if we give up and walk?’ But what I realise now two things: 

1.     Coming back to something the horse knows is not ‘giving up. It’s clarifying and strengthening education

2.     Relaxation does not always mean going slowly

 

Just something I’ll try to keep in mind for next weeks’ rides.

Erica Hosking - Instructor, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre


Christine Note: The photo above is Blinkbonnie Hamish, it was his first competition at the local Pony Club grounds, we were NOT relaxed. Erica's blog made me think about this special day in our training. Finding a way to relax Hamish while going any "work" on that day was hard but he was pretty happy to stand around on a loose rein talking to my son Jack
.


Comments