Erica's Blog - Holidays are over!


 

This week’s pouring rain meant I had a little difficulty in working the horses! Even so, it was good to be back after a month’s break. 

Today was about bringing the horses back into work, and I mostly lunged and did a little in hand work. 

Eachan was uncharacteristically like a kite, and eventually I had to remind him that he belonged on the ground, not in the air. 

With Susie and occasionally PJ who tend to run and jump about on the lunge, I am now working on gently redirecting their energy and creating relaxation. 

Susie is a very tense and sensitive horse, and sometimes when I let her out on the lunge she can get very fast, but if I do too much correction she can get tense. My goal with her this year is to be able to lunge with relaxation, and be able to, for example, raise the lunge whip to ask for canter and for her to stay relaxed. I tried some in hand work for the first time after her lunge and quickly realised her legs are much longer than mine!! 🌞 I need to work on walking a little faster. 🌞

Blinkbonnie welcomed a new horse, Danny, who I was also introduced to, and I did some in hand work with him.  I am looking forward to working with the school horses and working on my own riding too this year. 

Erica Hosking - Instructor, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre

Comments