Christine's Blog - When its all so sad


Its been a sad week here at Blinkbonnie with one of my young horses, 6yo Arabian Teddy dying in a freakish paddock accident in front of my eyes. This follows on from me losing my young mare Joules only a little while ago in another ridiculous accident.

I had such grand plans for these two young horses who, in addition to Tucker, were to be my final three, hopefully staying with me until at least my 80th birthday.

Whenever any of my horses die I am always very sad, the grief indicating my depth of feeling for these lovely animals who are both my friends and my colleagues in our riding school business. Usually it is at the end of a long and useful life that I have to say goodbye. 

These two deaths have weighed heavily for me as these two were both so young and full of life, vitality and personality. I am finding it hard to bounce back and carry on with my training and riding. 

But I know I need to get on with it and remember that for every bad and sad time there are those brilliant days with the horses where being around them gives you freedom and joy. I remember the time in this photo clearly, riding through the annual flood in the Okavanga delta in Botswana, and yes I am having an amazing time.

Comments