Erica's Blog - Relaxation (Each Horse is Unique)

 
The main goal of all the horses I’m riding is to train them so they understand the Ecole de Legerete system. 

For some of them, that means training them from the very beginning, keeping the training scale in mind every step of the way. In discussion with Christine, we decided that above all else, relaxation is the priority for the horse's at Blinkbonnie, this will help them do their job well. 

In the Legerete training scale, relaxation is part of initial Legetrete, which means that the horse cannot or should not progress without it, and to return to relaxation when it is lost. I’m finding it difficult to maintain relaxation with all the horses at the moment, as we’re getting used to each other and I’m figuring out what works best with each horse. 

This is especially true of Charlotte who has a sensitive mouth, and I have a tendency to act backward on the mouth rather that upwards, and she is much less forgiving than someone like Eachan, who would prefer to ignore the hand! 

The difficulty in riding a few horses in one day is sitting on a different horse and riding the horse underneath me, not the previous horse. If I ride Eachan first, sometimes my hand can be more exaggerated (and if I’m being honest, far too strong) and if I take this to Charlotte, she loses relaxation and closes the gullet. 

My goal for next week is to spend a few minutes at the start of each ride to sit and reset before gathering up the reins and starting work. If I become automatic and not present with each horse, then each horse isn’t working to their potential because I’m still riding the previous horses’ problems. 

I wonder how the professionals do it! ("says the girl being paid to ride horses" - Christine Comment)

Erica Hosking - Instructor, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre

Note: Picture is Christine riding her 3 main horses Hamish, Bailey and Tucker, who are all very different. Each one can lose relaxation and show that in very different ways 😀

Comments