Erica's Blog - Descente de Main vs Dropping the Contact


Contact is one of the main things I focus on with Eachan. He braces through the mouth and leans through the chest. The feeling in my hands is extremely heavy. 

My first instinct is to address the mouth first according to the in-hand steps: jaw mobility then rebalance the horses’ centre of gravity towards the hindlegs. However, if the horse is leaning on the hand, they cannot physically relax the jaw. 

So this week I was working on Demi Arret first and swapping the two steps around. I also realized that when I increase the pressure in my hand, I was creating such a strong contact that it became impossible for him to relax the jaw, and instead he was just opening his mouth. 

Legerete is about being light in the aids and finding a way to get the desired response with lightness, instead of getting stronger. Once I realized I was being way too strong in the contact, I experimented with a lighter pressure and holding it for longer, and this gave a much better-quality relaxation. I also realized I was dropping my hand and giving him no contact, and he would then drop his head. Instead of dropping the contact I tried shortening the rein and keeping a light contact (Descente de Main). 

As a rider I find it difficult to relax my arms and contact after tension, so I tend to drop the contact instead. Eachan is definitely helping me with my feel!

Erica Hosking - Instructor, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre


Comments