Clarity in the Canter Transition


 

This week's work was a reminder about clarity of the aids. As I ride alone the vast majority of the time, I can get a little careless and forget to really criticize my own riding. 

Today I rode Charlotte and Eachan.

Charlotte's in hand work is so light, I really enjoyed working with another horse who knew the aids so well. The ridden work was also light, and I started working on shoulder mobility, as Charlotte tends to travel on her left shoulder. When I started the canter, things went downhill - where previously Charlotte was doing exactly as I asked, now her quarters were swinging to the inside and I couldn't get one stride of canter.

After doing the same thing on Eachan I realised I had lost clarity of the aids.

Using the Ecole de Legerete canter aids, a canter transition starts with the rider's weight transferring to the outside, with the leg behind the girth. I was confusing things - using an active outside leg and leaning forward and to the inside, a position I usually take when I am nervous. Both horses swung their quarters to the inside, doing exactly what I had unintentionally asked them to do - travers (and doing t very well!!)

Today was a good reminder to pause and reflect on my own riding when things don't seem to be going quite right and not to panic when a moment feels a little wild. Riding an unknown horse can feel uncomfortable, but it was a good reminder that it doesn't mean basics fly out the window.!!

Erica Hosking - Instructor, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre

 

Comments

  1. This was a good reminder for me as well, thank you for articulating it in writing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment