Christine Blog - I am Woman (You can do it!)

 


I will admit it, I am a feminist. I come from a family of strong, independent women. I was educated in the 70's and enjoyed the results of the feminist struggles of the 60's and 70's. My final years of higher education were at a high school for strong, intelligent women, run by women and we had a slew of "old girls" who regularly came to tell us of their achievements in the big wide world.

I left school with an idea that I could do anything and even though I joined the finance industry which in many ways was full of people in the "old boys club" I travelled the world on the back of these old boys valuing my modern set of problem solving skills.

Fast forward to now I love that I am working in the horse world, an industry full of strong, independent, intelligent women doing their best to achieve their goals in this awesome pass time. 

However I often find, in my day to day interactions with the many women in the grass roots area of the horse world, that I am met with strong, independent, intelligent women who doubt their ability, their talent and indeed their worth.

STOP DOUBTING YOURSELF

You.Can.Do.It! (Whatever "It" may be). 

You may not do it perfectly but you can surely give it a red hot go.

When this doubt about yourself rears its ugly, judgy head try to sing (or hum or mime) these iconic words from Helen Reddy. Your horse doesn't understand English and wont laugh, he or she will just settle while you relax into your confidence in your ability to DO IT!

I am woman, hear me roar

In numbers too big to ignore

And I know too much to go back an' pretend

'Cause I've heard it all before

And I've been down there on the floor

No one's ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes, I am wise

But it's wisdom born of pain

Yes, I've paid the price

But look how much I gained

If I have to, I can do anything

I am strong

(Strong)

I am invincible

(Invincible)

I am woman

You can bend but never break me

'Cause it only serves to make me

More determined to achieve my final goal

And I come back even stronger

Not a novice any longer

'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

Oh yes, I am wise

But it's wisdom born of pain

Yes, I've paid the price

But look how much I gained

If I have to, I can do anything

I am strong

(Strong)

I am invincible…


 Christine Mogensen - Principal, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre

PS If you are a bloke, this song still might work for you too, just try!




Comments