Side Reins and other Fixed Gagets - An opinion



I would like to share some opinions about rein aids and why side reins and other fixed rein systems are not optimal.

In my previous way of horse training I often used the concept of a fixed rein to train my horses. This would take many forms, either with my low fixed hand when I was riding, or as part of the young horse’s mouthing process, to strengthen the horse by lunging them in running reins or within the riding school the use of running martingales to change the effect of the beginner rider’s actions on the reins. I think I even remember a riding lesson in New Zealand where I was holding draw reins to ensure the school horse did not come above the bit.

The first day I attended a training session with Philippe Karl some 10 years ago he introduced a new way of thinking to me. It really challenged all of my previously held beliefs.

He commenced his evening theory lecture by saying the following:

“Mise en Main, or the process of teaching the actions of the rider’s hand to the horse, is the most fundamental part of riding and the relationship between the rider’s hand and the horse’s mouth is the key”

NB: this is from the written notes I took at the time and may not have been his exact words.

His arguments during that theory evening were that fixed rein systems and tight nosebands were the enemy of a light and harmonious relationship between me and my horses. The concept really disturbed me and I had a whole page of “but what if?” questions written in my notes. However I had also seen M. Karl ride 8 horses that day, and each of those horses had really shown how much they appreciated his riding so I knew that there had to be something in his idea that for a rider to become a natural leader the horse must be allowed to develop a light consistent contact with the ability to mobilise the jaw and tongue.

Often the argument promoting the use of side reins (and other fixed gadgets) is that they offer an immediate release but this release comes from the horse submitting to discomfort and coming behind the contact. If, as a rider, you search for a light communication with the horse’s mouth the action of fixed reins teaches the wrong reaction to the horse, thus diminishing the possibility of the reins in the hand of the rider. 

Fixed reins only decrease the quality of the education of the horse’s mouth to the action of the reins. 

Fixed reins teach the horse to be behind the contact rather than on the contact, this decreases the possibility of using the contact to teach the horse to follow your hand into the position most useful for the action you are trying to achieve. Better to educate the horse to the action of the reins (and cavesson) to allow you to position the neck and head into postures which positively gymnastically develop the horse. Shorten, lengthen, flex laterally, poll flex the neck. Side reins only allow a fixed position relative to the length of the rein and position on the roller.

Fast forward 10 years - imagine 10 years of frustration and jubilation as I have tried to re-wire a life time of riding habits. While I know that I am still not perfect and still, annoyingly, revert to old habits I think sometimes I really do look like I am a “Legerete Rider”.

I am riding my lovely, giant, baby Tucker regularly now, he is rising 6yo and on the way to 17hh. In his education I have only applied principals learnt as a student of the Ecole de Legerete in the education of his mouth. He has never felt the affect of a fixed rein or a backward action on his tongue. The joy for me is real and yesterday as I dismounted he gave a soft, breathy nicker into my neck as if he had felt the same harmonious connection during our ride that I had. Thank you Philippe Karl!


Christine Mogensen - Principal, Blinkbonnie Equestrian Centre

Comments